Friday, March 2, 2012

Inspirational Designer- William Travilla

Wlilliam Travilla fitting with Marlyn Monroe

When it comes to being a creative individual, there is always an inspiration behind your passion, no matter who you are. One of my inspirations and probably favorite one will have to be William Travilla, he was both an artist and costume designer that came from Catalina Island and made a lasting impact in Hollywood. From the moment I saw his work and sketches completely in watercolor, I realized that that's what I wanted to be, or at least emulate, to be a creative individual that can master both the timely watercolor skill and create a garment from start to finish. If you're a fan of Marlyn Monroe, then you have seen some of the amazing work from Travilla, every garment is perfectly constructed and elegantly executed. Whether you see Travilla as just an Illustrator or a Costume Designer, he proves to be very talented...and when it came time to creating my Personal Portfolio I decided to do what he would have done and did it completely in watercolor. Now that I think about it, it seemed pretty insane for me to even try to accomplish, because I had no social life or saw daylight for about 6 months!. At the end of the day I am very proud to showcase my work because I put a lot of effort and love into it, and I have Travilla to thank a great deal for being so inspiring.
Film: Seven Year Itch

Marlyn's famous Gold lamme dress

Film: Gentlemen Prefer Blonde's

Film: There's no Business like Show Business

No comments:

Post a Comment